‘The Maharaja of Jodhpur’ is an exclusive documentation of the life of one of India’s most distinguished Royals – His Highness The Maharajah Gaj Singh II of Marwar- Jodhpur.
This is the fascinating story of a boy who had to be king. Track his life from his coronation, at age 4, through Eton and Oxford to his exuberant homecoming, after 14 years. But he came back to problems: the Indian Government had derecognised the erstwhile royals and discontinued their privy purses.
Was the Maharaja able to salvage his inheritance? Especially his home, the fabulous Umaid Bhawan Palace, the largest art-deco palace in the world and the formidable Mehrangarh Fort, a repository of 500 years of his ancestral heritage.
This is the story of his struggle to preserve and protect his monumental legacy and a glorious way of life; of his quest to reinvent his role and relevance in democratic, republican India; of his mission to “serve my people”
Step into a royal world:
- Durbar Ceremony- celebrating the 50th year of his coronation- a glittering historical occasion, when the Rathores paid homage to the head of their clan.
- Akha Teej Durbar- when the Rathores sip saffron water (formerly opium) from their Maharaja’s palm in declaration of their loyalty.
- Dusshera Durbar- where ties with the Rathore clan are renewed, with the anointing of swords, by the Maharaja.
Romance the magic of the past:
- Birthday Celebrations- formal durbars, royal processions and ritual greetings by women, dressed in their traditional best.
- A glamorous royal lifestyle - polo, vintage cars, courtly dance performances, vibrant festivals, ceremonial processions and exclusive footage of the “Raj” era of princely India.
- Meet the charismatic Maharaja and share poignant moments with Rajmata Krishna Kumari “his guide and source of strength”, Maharani Hemlata, the “fun-loving First Lady” of Jodhpur, Princess Shivranjani, a “budding anthropologist” and the “Prince of Hearts”, Yuvraj Shivraj- the heir apparent.
Channel - Discovery Channel International, Canal+ CYFROWY
Duration - 2 x 48 minutes, 52 minutes, 78 minutes, 90 minutes
Format – Digi Beta
Director - Anu Malhotra
Language – English
- Premiered at the Nehru Centre, London on 17th June 2004.
- Maiden Middle East showing at the Madinat Theatre in Jumeirat Madinat, Dubai on September 24th, 2004.
- Officially selected for The 7th Annual ARPA International Film Festival and maiden US screening at the Arclight Cinema in Hollywood on October 10th, 2004.
- Nominated for the best documentary at the ARPA Festival.
- Officially selected by 19th Annual International Fort Lauderdale Film Festival as the Official Indian Entry.
- Screened at the Cosford Theatre, Miami on October 17th, 2004.
- Officially selected by 2005 Newport Beach International Film Festival.
- Officially selected by San Fernando Valley International Film Festival, 2005.
- Nominated for the 2005 Category award for the Best Foreign Film at San Fernando Valley International Film Festival 2005.
- Officially selected for Globians® Potsdam World and Culture Documentary Film Festival, 2005.
- Officially selected for Oxford Film festival 2005.
- The International Festival of Televisao, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2005